Skip to main content

Credit Cards: Friend or Foe?

Right off the bat, allow me to answer the titular question; credit cards are not your friend! 

We hear about the growing epidemic of credit card debt all the time. I recently read a statistic that said around 75% of American adults have at least one credit card. That means that 75% of American adults are in the habit of buying what they cannot afford outright. 

Yes, many people claim that they only use their credit cards for the essentials they already plan to buy in order to accumulate airline miles, points or cash back "rewards" and that they pay off the balance every month. That sounds sensible at first, but let's explore it further. 

Many credit cards have done away with annual fees...aaaand many haven't. The fees often negate any "rewards." 

Here's a public service announcement: Cash back rewards are designed to make you spend more and to increase their bottom line. 

How many times have you been shopping with every intention of only buying what you need, but then give in to the temptation to buy something else, justifying it with "it's ok, I earn points/cash back?" 

Let's say that your planned purchase was $80 and your whimsical purchase was $20, totaling $100. Now let's say that you earn 3% (on the high end) cash back on all purchases. You just spent $20 to get $3 back. I have seen and heard many iterations of this financial and mathematical faux pas. 

Credit card companies know this will happen. They pay people a lot of money to come up with ways to make you think you need more, in turn making them a lot of money. I don't generally like to support companies/products that prey on the vulnerability of the human condition. 

And as Dave Ramsey likes to frequently remind us, paying with plastic in general causes us to spend more because it doesn't register as pain in the brain, unlike paying with cash. 

Credit cards are especially detrimental to impulsive spenders because the cash back "rewards" and "just this once" justifications are anything but, so the potential to accumulate insurmountable debt is even greater. Even if you can afford the minimum payment, you will still pay far more in the long run as the interest rates are sky high. And if you have an emergency or an unexpected, costly life event on top of all of that...I rest my case. 

Debt kills your wealth. Credit cards cause debt. As the holiday season approaches, just say no! You don't need to go into debt to buy stuff for people. 

I know this because before I got my act together financially, I lived it! You can survive without a credit card, I promise! I am living proof that it can be done! And if you need help getting rid of them, I have a pair of sharp and shimmery scissors ready for the job! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Debt Snowball

If you have read any of my previous posts, you already know that I am a huge fan of Dave Ramsey, whose teachings helped me eradicate my debt. Fast.  A common misconception about paying off debt is that you have to attack the largest balance and/or interest rate first, but depending on the balance, that could take quite a while, especially if you are making payments on several other debts as well. What you want to do instead is attack the smallest balance first by applying every extra dollar that you can squeeze from your budget while making only the minimum payments on all of your other debts. Because it is a smaller balance and you are attacking it aggressively, it will get paid off much faster than a larger balance would. Then you can attack the next smallest balance. Everything that was applied to the previous balance can now be applied to the next one as well as every extra dollar that you can squeeze from your budget. Repeat this cycle until your debt disappears! Mr. Ramsey cal

Stewardship: Where Faith and Finances Meet

Around the same time that I was learning about financial peace and budgeting from Dave Ramsey, the Lord lit a fire in me to get serious in my pursuit of following Him. I have always been a believer, but my heart began stirring at the realization that I needed to fully surrender my heart to Him in order to experience true life. When you draw closer to the Lord, He plants truths in your heart that blossom into beautiful, transforming things in your life. For me, one (among many) of those things was a passion for good stewardship. Mr. Ramsey, who is also a believer, encouraged and inspired me to remain steadfast in this newfound passion. There is a beautiful song by Casting Crowns called "Oh My Soul." ( Click here to listen ). My favorite line of the chorus is, "There's a place where fear has to face the God you know." I believe the same is true of our finances. The way they face and reflect the God we know is through practicing good stewardship. So what does t

5 Simple and Practical Ways to Save More Money

I'm sure many of you have heard the old adage, "Necessity is the mother of invention." When I was on my journey to debt freedom, necessity became the mother of my frugality. I really had no choice; it was sink or swim, and I've never been one to choose to sink. In my previous posts, I've discussed how I became a master at cutting back/sacrificing, prioritizing, budgeting and saving. In this post, I would like to share how I became great at finding a deal to save money when shopping. 1. Don't be a retailer snob/brand snob:  I am not the least bit ashamed to admit that Wal-Mart and Aldi are my favorite stores. Why? Because the shopping experience is superior? NO. The prices are the lowest around and that is all I care about! Growing up in Johnson County, I have heard every excuse imaginable as to why Wal-Mart and Aldi are not acceptable places to shop. Some of the most popular excuses are that the customer service is terrible, they see themselves as above t