Skip to main content

Budget Busters

Are you struggling to make ends meet? Are you having a hard time writing and/or sticking to a monthly budget? Do you feel like you have shaved your budget down to needs only but things still aren't adding up?

Let's explore some of the most common, yet overlooked budget busters.

1. Housing. This is an obvious need in your budget, but what percentage of your monthly take home pay are you spending on housing? Anything over 30% is not a need, that's just extravagant. Keeping it closer to 25% (or lower if possible) is ideal, especially if you're paying off debt. This may not be possible if your income is very low, in which case you may need to sell some things, get a second job, get a roommate to share expenses and/or visit your local food pantry to at least ease the burden of food costs. Anything you can do to spend less and make more money.

2. Car Payments. A car is also a need, but is your monthly car payment $200? $300? $400? $500? $600+? The average payment is around $500. That's a significant chunk of change! You should only be spending 10% (15% tops) of your monthly take home pay on transportation, and that does not include a monthly payment. That is for things like gas, maintenance and insurance. If you have a car payment and are struggling financially, ask yourself the following questions. Can you sell the car to get rid of the monthly payments and buy a cheaper car in full until you can save up enough to buy a nicer one in full to avoid having a monthly payment? Or at least trade it in for something with a smaller payment? Is there any way you can rely solely on public transportation and/or giving a little gas money here and there to friends and family to get around for a while? Not saying it's easy, but if these sacrifices could help you save up for a little while to help your finances, it will be far better in the long run! And please, whatever you do, don't buy a new car!! That is the most horrible investment I can think of.

3. Food. Another obvious necessity, but over spending in this category can easily slip past our radar because we tend to spend a little here and a little there, and that adds up! No more than 10-15% of your monthly take home pay should be spent on food. And if you have debt and are struggling financially, you shouldn't even see the inside of a restaurant unless you work there (as Dave Ramsey would say)!

4. Clothing. Yet another need in our budget, but we should only be spending an absolute max of 5% of our monthly take home pay on clothing. Honestly though, who needs to buy new clothes on a monthly basis? Unless you have children who are growing rapidly, or your entire wardrobe is stained, torn or just doesn't fit, make it last! Be content with what you have, especially if you're in debt and struggling financially! And if you do need to buy clothing, just a friendly reminder that there are other options besides expensive department stores. Clothing is also a tricky spending category, because once again, a seemingly small, indulgent purchase here and there adds up!

For those of you that may still feel skeptical or restricted by these suggested percentages or about budgeting in general, allow me to remind you that all we are doing is telling our money where to go instead of wondering where it went. We are exercising self-control so we don't feel out of control, living from paycheck to paycheck like a slave to money.

Imagine the possibilities of what you could do with the extra money if you didn't have a car payment, or if you didn't overindulge in clothing (or anything else for that matter). Or what if you had extra money every month because you lived in a home or rented a place you can actually afford?

Don't be fooled into thinking it's ok to over spend on needs. If you have trouble figuring out where to draw the line, let the suggested percentages be your guide. It will give you peace, I promise!

I gave up on indulgence years ago; I don't get my hair and nails done, I only own a small amount of inexpensive clothing, I don't have the latest (or much at all) in technology and I drive a modest car. The best part? I don't give a rat's rear what anyone thinks about it! I'm debt free, I travel a lot, my emergency fund is fully funded, and I'm living my best life!

And hey, if you can truly afford to have it all, more power to ya! And if you can't afford it but choose to have it all anyway, I won't be mad at you, but I will roll my eyes if you complain to me about your money problems 🙂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Debt Snowball

If you have read any of my previous posts, you already know that I am a huge fan of Dave Ramsey, whose teachings helped me eradicate my debt. Fast.  A common misconception about paying off debt is that you have to attack the largest balance and/or interest rate first, but depending on the balance, that could take quite a while, especially if you are making payments on several other debts as well. What you want to do instead is attack the smallest balance first by applying every extra dollar that you can squeeze from your budget while making only the minimum payments on all of your other debts. Because it is a smaller balance and you are attacking it aggressively, it will get paid off much faster than a larger balance would. Then you can attack the next smallest balance. Everything that was applied to the previous balance can now be applied to the next one as well as every extra dollar that you can squeeze from your budget. Repeat this cycle until your debt disappears! Mr. Ramsey cal

Stewardship: Where Faith and Finances Meet

Around the same time that I was learning about financial peace and budgeting from Dave Ramsey, the Lord lit a fire in me to get serious in my pursuit of following Him. I have always been a believer, but my heart began stirring at the realization that I needed to fully surrender my heart to Him in order to experience true life. When you draw closer to the Lord, He plants truths in your heart that blossom into beautiful, transforming things in your life. For me, one (among many) of those things was a passion for good stewardship. Mr. Ramsey, who is also a believer, encouraged and inspired me to remain steadfast in this newfound passion. There is a beautiful song by Casting Crowns called "Oh My Soul." ( Click here to listen ). My favorite line of the chorus is, "There's a place where fear has to face the God you know." I believe the same is true of our finances. The way they face and reflect the God we know is through practicing good stewardship. So what does t

5 Simple and Practical Ways to Save More Money

I'm sure many of you have heard the old adage, "Necessity is the mother of invention." When I was on my journey to debt freedom, necessity became the mother of my frugality. I really had no choice; it was sink or swim, and I've never been one to choose to sink. In my previous posts, I've discussed how I became a master at cutting back/sacrificing, prioritizing, budgeting and saving. In this post, I would like to share how I became great at finding a deal to save money when shopping. 1. Don't be a retailer snob/brand snob:  I am not the least bit ashamed to admit that Wal-Mart and Aldi are my favorite stores. Why? Because the shopping experience is superior? NO. The prices are the lowest around and that is all I care about! Growing up in Johnson County, I have heard every excuse imaginable as to why Wal-Mart and Aldi are not acceptable places to shop. Some of the most popular excuses are that the customer service is terrible, they see themselves as above t