Skip to main content

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Welcome to the Wanderlusting Penny Pincher blog! I have taken an unintentionally long hiatus from posting as I was moving and traveling and then regretfully never got back into the routine of posting...until now!

The pastor at my church has been doing a sermon series the past few weeks about having a godly perspective on money. (Click here to listen). This series has gotten me so fired up as it echoes my heart's cry about money and much of what I have written about in my previous posts. So here I am, back at it just in time for the upcoming holiday season! 

For many, what is supposed to be the most wonderful time of year, has become the most stressful, anxiety-inducing time of year. It all starts with this question: 

How will I be able to afford nice, meaningful gifts for all of my loved ones? 

But friends, it doesn't have to be this way! You are not obligated to go broke and max out your credit card(s) to buy gifts for your privileged peers! 

"Privileged? My friends and family aren't privileged," you say? 

THIS JUST IN: If you have a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, clothes to wear, food to eat, and a car to drive, you're privileged! In fact, most of us have that and so much more! 

Let's release ourselves right now from the worry and the tendency to get further into debt during the holidays! Instead, let's do some good with whatever amount of money and/or time we have available and won't break our budget. 

If you only have $100 to spare this holiday season, consider donating it and/or your time to a cause that's near and dear to your heart. Although you owe nobody an explanation, you can inform your friends and family of your situation/decision and encourage them to do the same if they're feeling strapped. In doing so, you will have started a new pattern of freedom! Your friends and family will respect and understand your decision. I promise! It's a win-win for everybody! You get to do some good without breaking your budget or affecting your mental health, which will keep you on track to get out of debt and build wealth so you can do even more good in the future. Plus, directing your dollars to a cause that truly needs it is the best example of good stewardship! (Click here to read my post on stewardship).

Let's keep the holidays happy!

*Like what you read? Have money saving, debt blasting tips of your own? Please feel free to like, comment and share! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning of my Journey to Financial Peace

When I graduated college back in 2010, degrees in hand, I had stars in my eyes and spunk in my spirit. I was young and carefree, the world was my oyster and I was excited about the future. There was just one problem. Between student loans, credit card debt, and an auto loan, I had accrued about $55,000 of debt. I also had no job prospects, at least none that justified my newly earned music and psychology degrees and/or would be much help with attacking Debt Mountain. I was also an impulsive spender. The fact that I wasn't making a lot of money combined with the fact that I had a lot of debt and a bad habit - let's just say my starry-eyed excitement was fading fast, and I knew I needed to act. It's amazing, the things we can accomplish when we have to. I prayed, researched and brainstormed every possible thing I could do to become debt free. Doing all of that took me on a life-changing journey; so much so that I feel compelled, obligated even, to share my story. I am so exci...

9 Ways Wal Mart Grocery Pick Up Saves You Money

Hello lovely readers! As the weekend comes to a close, I'm feeling satisfied that I accomplished everything on my to do list and am ready for the busy week ahead. One of the tasks on said list, was to pick up the groceries I ordered from Wal Mart. This was only the second time I have ordered groceries for pick up, and let me tell you, I am never buying groceries any other way ever again, and I have no idea why I didn't do it any sooner! There are so many ways that Wal Mart grocery pickup saves you money, so of course I have to share them! I am The Wanderlusting Penny Pincher after all! 1. It's FREE, need I say more? 2. If you have the tendency to overspend on impulse buys (this used to be a big problem for me)... BOOM. Problem solved. You can't buy what you don't see! 3. It saves so much time, and as we all know, time is money! 4. When you are searching for your products online, you can set it to list the lowest priced items first that are related to your searc...

Stewardship: Where Faith and Finances Meet

Around the same time that I was learning about financial peace and budgeting from Dave Ramsey, the Lord lit a fire in me to get serious in my pursuit of following Him. I have always been a believer, but my heart began stirring at the realization that I needed to fully surrender my heart to Him in order to experience true life. When you draw closer to the Lord, He plants truths in your heart that blossom into beautiful, transforming things in your life. For me, one (among many) of those things was a passion for good stewardship. Mr. Ramsey, who is also a believer, encouraged and inspired me to remain steadfast in this newfound passion. There is a beautiful song by Casting Crowns called "Oh My Soul." ( Click here to listen ). My favorite line of the chorus is, "There's a place where fear has to face the God you know." I believe the same is true of our finances. The way they face and reflect the God we know is through practicing good stewardship. So what does t...